Many authors and trainers take the Gospel out of sidewalk counseling training and instead implement a word tract system. I somewhat understand why trainers do this – it creates order. I’m all for order, but even more so, we need balance and Jesus. Yes, God has spoken thru a donkey, but I’m sure He’d prefer a willing vessel.
Word tracts do not set the sinner free. The mom/dad/companion lived a hard life which brought them to the abortion facility to kill their own child. Imagine that for one moment, all of the events that have led a person to kill their own child – abortion has somehow become the answer to a life lived in a downward spiral. We do believe that NO ONE has ever wanted to be at a place to kill their own child.
All that being said, we do not espouse any specific religion or doctrine other than preaching Christ and Him Crucified. Preaching to each other on the sidewalk does not benefit unborn children, but sets the tone for pridefulness and agenda. EVERYONE is welcome on the sidewalk as long as order and balance is kept. Read more about that here.
Jesus died for us, He is the Son of God, He sets the captive FREE.
- We need to cultivate God’s love and concern for those in need. We prepare for this by praying and reading His Holy Word.
- Keep your heart in an attitude of prayer that so that the Holy Spirit can speak thru you. Remember the battle is not ours, “Thus says the Lord to you: ‘Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s’.” [2Chr 20:15]
- As you LISTEN, find the reason why they are at the abortion mill. Is it coercion? Is it fear? Is it money? But always ALWAYS it’s a heart problem, not a baby problem.
- Ask questions, listen, and listen some more. After he/she hears themselves speaking their reasoning, they may see with their own eyes. Haven’t you ever talked yourself out of something?
- Use the Bible, keep ‘advice’ to a minimum because often our own advice may not be very Christ-like or Godly but prideful.
- Controversy is set aside for the abortion victim photography to strike up a conversation rather than a controversial debate. Debates cause tension and are best used at sites other than the sidewalk such as community outreaches, etc.
- The mom/dad/companion need to feel that you are truly concerned and want to share the burden to get to a better solution.
- Emotions run very high on the sidewalk, we cannot be emotional; we have to give them real answers to their very real situation with love and compassion.
- Always, always ALWAYS share the Gospel, give them Jesus. Jesus is the answer to EVERY problem.
- Remember that the results are God’s, not ours. Sidewalk Counselors and Ministers are seed planters, the pebble in the shoe.
“v7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.
v8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
v9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.” 1Cor 3:7-9
AND: “v16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
v17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
v18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 2Cor 4:16-18
LIFE Support Advocacy of America is a support group of Christian women and men who advocate for unborn life on the sidewalks of abortion facilities, the steps of the Statehouse, prayer, community outreach, and real LIFE supporting options.